The carpet experts at Floor Coverings International® of Boca Raton are here to provide you with some essential tips on how to clean the carpet in your Boca Raton home. We’ll go over the habits that keep your carpet in tip-top shape, what to do in case of a small mess, and how to handle the bigger problems that might arise.
Of course, it’s important to remember that cleaning berber carpet is different from cleaning wool or plush. There’s no one solution for every style of carpet, so it’s always best to consult the professionals if you’re not sure.
Habits You Should Form To Keep Your Carpet Clean
- Regular vacuuming – Probably the single most important thing you can do to extend the life of your carpet. Shoot for 2 or 3 times each week. This simple preventative measure will keep dirt, oil, and other contaminants from accumulating into visible blemishes.
- Doormats and a “No Shoes” Policy – This one might seem obvious, but it’s so important that we can’t overlook it. Both of these habits will decrease the risk of tracking in muck from outside.
What To Do In Case Of A Small Mess
The most important thing is to clean it up immediately. Don’t wait! Do it right away to keep anything from setting into the fibers and causing a permanent stain.
But before you get in there with your sponge and dish soap, remember that different substances need different cleaning methods:
- Oils – Use rubbing alcohol to slowly blot it out.
- Food – Hydrogen peroxide works best. Pour some on the affected area and then blot out with warm water, rinsing your rag as you clean.
- Dirt & Mud – Make sure it’s dry and then vacuum. Use water and a little dish soap to blot out anything left over.
- Dog/Cat Urine – Vinegar and baking soda work well to remove the smell.
What To Do In Case Of A Big Mess
If the mess is larger, try a powdered cleaner that you can vacuum up. There are also many strong carpet shampoos, but be sure they’re approved for your carpet material.
If it’s a really serious mess, it might be time to consider an annual professional cleaning. No matter how diligent you are, it’s important to have someone steam your carpet at least once a year. If you decide to rent a machine to do it yourself, be very careful since improper steaming has been known to cause mildew.
Ready For New Carpet?
We’re here for you. The team at Floor Coverings International® of Boca Raton provides free in-home design consultations to help homeowners find the perfect carpet for any room in the house. Contact us today.
You might also like:
- Carpet or Hardwood Flooring? Considering the Options
- Infographic: Top 4 Reasons To Choose Natural Fiber Carpet
- The Best Floors for Busy Families